THE MAIN REASON FOR INFECTION IS TOUCHING OR PLAYING WITH THE PIERCING. ONLY TOUCH THE PIERCING WHEN CLEANING.
- Wash your hands first with soap and water before touching or cleaning the pierced area. (Don't let anyone else touch the pierced area until it is healed.)
- Remove any crusty skin from the site and from the jewellery with warm water.
- Gently wash the area around the piercing with antibacterial soap (liquid soap works the best).
- Gently rinse off all of the soap and crusty discharge.
- Gently dry the area with a paper towel or plain white napkin. (Bacteria can stay in cloth towels.)
- Follow steps 1-5 twice a day until the skin heals. (Over-washing or over-scrubbing can irritate the area.)
- DON'T use antibacterial ointments because they don't allow air to get to the area and they trap bacteria.