Rinsing and cleaning
- DO rinse your mouth with salty water as often as you like. The correct proportion is 1/4 teaspoon of non-iodised sea salt to 8 ounces (250mls) of water.
- (LIP) DO clean the outside of the piercing by soaking a cotton wool ball in salt water and leaving it on the piercing for 2-3 minutes to dissolve the crusting in the morning. Salt water can be made by dissolving 1/2 teaspoon of non-iodised sea or table salt in a 1/4 glass of warm water.
- DON'T use alcohol or Peroxide to clean the area. (Both products will dry out your skin.) Other strong solutions such as Betadine will discolour gold jewellery.
- DO rinse the pierced skin after exercising since sweat may irritate the piercing.
- DO remove the plaque and exudates, which can form on the jewellery, do this very gently with a soft, sterile toothbrush during the healing period.
- DON'T pick at the scab on the front of your lip, as this can cause infections, excessive scar tissue and can lead to lumps forming.