Kensington has a history of caring for those in need. The Anglican Sisterhood of St. John the Divine had been operating church homes for the aged since 1886. In 1907 they purchased and transformed 87 Bellevue to accommodate about forty-five elderly women. During those years the sisters also managed the Hospital for the Treatment of Women on Major Street, and the forerunner of the Doctors Hospital. In 1992 the Homes First Society bought and converted the Bellevue building to provide affordable housing.