Click for full sized image of Bright Pearl Seafood Restaurant

Hidden behind the colourful facade of the Bright Pearl Seafood restaurant is the original building that housed the Labour Lyceum, at the corner of St. Andrew and Spadina. It was a home for unions and the socialist movement of the 1920s and 1930s.



Click for full sized image of Kensington Lofts

William Houston Public School was built. During WWII, it was part of a training centre for soldiers. After the war it was a campus for the Ontario College of Art, and then for George Brown College. In 1998 it became Kensington Lofts.



Click for full sized image of Frances Borg and Mayor Mel Lastman

Sancis built by Salvatore Sanci who had moved here from Sicily in 1914. The store opened in 1928, and he was the only non-Jewish merchant in Kensington. In 1998, City of Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman, who grew up in Kensington, did a walkabout through the area and met Frances Borg of Sancis, a boyhood neighbour and friend.



Click for full sized image of Anshei Minsk Synagogue

Anshei Minsk congregation was one of the first founded in Toronto. The synagogue was built replacing two small houses.


Click for full sized image of Augusta Fruit Store

Augusta Fruit store opened. Sonia Lunansky began by selling from a box on the sidewalk in front of her home. Sonia was a resident and merchant of the area for 50 years. Sonias Park on Nassau was named in her honour.