Click for full sized image of 29 Wales Avenue

29 Wales Avenue was built and became the home of Charles R. Peterkin, a local lumber dealer. During the construction of Keiver synagogue, services were held in this house. Dan Heap, a local politician and Anglican minister owned and later donated this house to Homes First Society.



Click for full sized image of 91 Bellevue

91 Bellevue was built and was home to the minister of College Street Presbyterian Church until the 1890s when the Anglican Church purchased it. Today 91 Bellevue is home to St. Stephens Community House, incorporated in 1974, and a United Way member agency since 1975. St. Stephens Community House provides a range of services to newcomers, seniors, children and youth, homeless people, and the community. The house was listed in Heritage Torontos Inventory of Heritage Properties in 1980.



Click for full sized image of Glen Baillie Place

Glen Baillie Place was built to house English construction workers. It is located just south of St. Andrews on the west side of Spadina Avenue. There are two other similar laneways in Kensington: Kensington Place and Fitzroy Terrace off of Kensington Avenue.


Click for full sized image of 95 Bellevue

95 Bellevue was home to Dr. Henry Thomas Machell, a leading obstetrician and one of the founders of the Hospital for Sick Children. Between 1920-1940, the Salvation Army ran this building as a rehabilitation house for women. Since WWII, it has been a childcare centre, now run by the City of Toronto. It has the distinction of being the first public day nursery.


Click for full sized image of Toronto Western Hospital

Toronto Western Hospital took over the MacDonell farmhouse and replaced it with a hospital building in 1905. In 1957, half a block of houses and stores were demolished for a hospital parking garage and medical office building privately owned by the doctors. This was the last board of trustees of Toronto Western Hospital before its amalgamation in the 1980s as part of Toronto Hospital.