Scroll for Description
In 1901, the Kiever Synagogue began as a part of a congregation in the Ward. In 1910, some of the members left to form their own congregation. In 1917 they bought the first of two houses standing on the site of Belle Vue, then bought a second in 1922. Four years later they hired a Jewish architect, Benjamin Swartz, to design the synagogue.
In 1981, it was restored with the help of the Ontario Jewish Archives Foundation and a provincial grant. In 1979, it was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, the first Jewish historical building in Toronto to be designated.
- Photo courtesy: Wayne Stark, 1980